PURLEY LAWN TENNIS CLUB
a section of
Purley Sports Club
If you are looking for a friendly tennis club boasting some of the best playing surfaces in the county then look no further than Purley.
We have 18 courts in all: 6 superb grass; 4 porous acrylic (3 floodlit) 4 artificial clay (two floodlit) and 4 tarmac (one floodlit)
We welcome new players of all standards. Our resident coach Terry Cooper’s team can offer coaching sessions whether you are a beginner or an experienced club player.
We are affiliated to the Lawn Tennis Association and run many teams in local leagues, several internal tournaments and organised club sessions both during the week and at weekends.
Our junior section is run by Terry Cooper and offers everything from tuition to competitions and even school-holiday activities.Our prized grass surfaces are the gem in the crown and highly popular with members during the summer months.
We offer a variety of membership categories to suit the times you are able to play at affordable prices.
Purley Tennis Club is a section of Purley Sports Club which also offers cricket, squash, bowls, hockey and a superbly equipped gym each available for a separate subscription.For those who just want to relax there is a modestly priced social membership which lets you enjoy discounted price drinks and the clubhouse catering 7 days a week.
A large function room and ample parking make the club a major attraction.
So if you are thinking of joining or indeed have already done so a very warm welcome and I hope you will enjoy playing at Purley for many years to come.
Tennis section chairman
What we can offer you………….
6 superb grass courts (May to September)
4 artificial clay with 2 floodlit
4 porous acrylic with 3 floodlit
4 tarmac with one floodlit
Fully stocked bar with Sky TV
7 day catering
Fully equipped gym (separate fee)
Weekly organised club sessions
Teams in local leagues
Large junior section
Court booking via app
SUBSCRIPTION RATES FOR 2021/22
Full adult £395
Midweek to 4 Mon-Fri to 4pm £230
Midweek to 10 Mon-Fri to 10pm £295
Midweek plus Mon-Fri to 4pm plus Sunday £275
19-29 year olds £140
Juniors 12-18 £75
Under 5 Free
All juniors under 18 to include both tennis and squash membership
Couples (2 partners living at the same address) over 30 Full membership £675
Couples over 30 midweek to 10pm £445
Family 2 Parents over 30 and unlimited children under 19 £775
There are special offers on squash and gym memberships apply to email@example.com
All memberships are on an annual basis and payable only by Direct Debit spread over 2 to 6 months
HOW TO BOOK COURTS
PLTC USES THE LTA CLUBSPARK BOOKING SYSTEM WHICH CAN BE ACCESSED ONLINE VIA AN APP OR ON DESKTOP
You must book a court please do not just turn up and play.
Once you have become a member you will receive an email invitation to register as a member. Simply click on the link in the email. This will automatically load the app and take you through the simple registration process. If you do not register you will be unable to book courts.
SHOULD YOU EXPERIENCE ANY PROBLEMS THEN CONTACT
Once registered you will be able to book courts on your phone, tablet or desktop. via the clubspark booker app or website.
1. Bookings will be for 30 minute slots and begin and end either on the hour or half hour.
2. A maximum of 4 x 30 min slots can be booked consecutively ( 2 hours ) to allow fair usage of courts by all members.
3. Courts must be booked by parents of under 16’s. The invitation email will be addressed to the parent at the email provided on joining.
4. The grass courts may be booked by children over the age of 8 only if accompanied by an adult playing member.
5. Courts can be booked up to 7 days in advance
6. Each member can make a maximum two bookings per day ( ie 2 x 2 hours ) not consecutively
7. You can choose a court and time slot or by tapping the symbol at the top right hand corner of the screen it will show you all the free and booked courts.
8. Courts being used for coaching or other official sessions will be blocked.
9. Within seconds of making your booking you should receive an email confirmation
10. The clay courts are in high demand so please end play 5 mins early to give time to sweep the court before the next players arrive.( A gloved hand must be used on the sweepers and all court equipment while covid related rules apply.)
11. If you are unable to take up your booking you MUST cancel on the app (swipe left)
as soon as possible to allow someone else the opportunity of the slot.
12. Please only book a court when you have a definite game arranged. Do not block book courts speculatively.
13. Even if you want to play the same day at short notice please reserve a court You may be asked to leave the courts if a booking arrives. It only takes a second.
We will monitor usage and change booking rules if necessary.
14. A polite reminder that appropriate sports clothing and correct footwear be worn on court at all times- no vests or jeans please!
Any problems or queries please contact Garry for help
TEAMS AND LEAGUES.
For more information on how you might play in one of our teams in the Surrey leagues you should contact
Men’s captain Martin Hewish firstname.lastname@example.org
Ladies captain Ellie Cross email@example.com
For all coaching enquiries please contact our Head Coach
Terry Cooper firstname.lastname@example.org
Terry also runs activity courses during the school holidays.
Terry Cooper runs our various club sessions ensuring that members participating get to play with others of a similar standard and also on different surfaces where possible.
Saturday from 2 to 4pm (1 to 3 in winter) is open to all full adult members.
Friday 9.30 to 11.30 am is open to all full and midweek adult members.
Tuesday 6 to 8pm from mid April to mid September is open to all full and midweek to 10pm adults.
Saturday 9 to 11am during term time is junior club session.
Under normal circumstances you can just turn up to a club session but while covid restrictions (rule of 6) are in place we have been operating a different system
Until at least June 23rd while the rule of 6 applies we are limited in numbers for each cub session.
If you wish to play in the Friday and/or Saturday adult sessions you should text Terry Cooper on 07745 899123 between 9am on the Monday and 8pm on the Wednesday before.
For the Tuesday session text Terry between 9am on Friday and 8pm on the Sunday previous.
Terry then pre-arranges two matches of one hour each ensuring that no more than 6 players mix during those games.
You will receive a text from Terry telling you which court to go to for your first game and the second will be taped to the ball can you will find on your court.
It sounds horrendously complicated but thanks to Terry’s hard work has served us well during these testing times and enabled us to continue with club sessions.
Those who are unlucky will be put on the reserve list and get priority the following week.
It is vital that if you put your name down you know you will be available to play as obviously the whole system falls apart if one player does not turn up!!
In an emergency you MUST let Terry know well in advance please to give him time to find a replacement.
Terry Cooper looks after our junior section and will help with any questions you may have regarding coaching, tournaments etc.
We also offer a parental playing membership for £25 which allows a parent to have a hit with their child so long as it does not involve coaching or use of a ball hopper.
From time to time I send out emails via the club office to tennis members under the TENNIS UPDATE heading to keep you advised of things that are happening at the club affecting tennis so watch out for these as they could contain important information!
Anything else you need to know just contact me or one of the committee and we will be pleased to help. (see committee page)
Until restrictions are lifted we have to comply with government and LTA regulations in order to be able to keep our courts open. Please read carefully. Your cooperation is appreciated.
1. Singles and doubles social play is permitted as long as the rule of 6 is adhered to . This means that you should not mix more than 5 other people on court in any session.
For example if a group of 8 of you are playing doubles on adjacent courts you can play one set and then change opponents for the next set but ensure that you personally have not been on court with more than 5 others during the session.
Some organised sessions have decided to keep the same 4 for the whole period for simplicity.
2. Terry will pre-arrange club session games to comply with this rule.
3. After play you should leave the club premises straight away and not socialise with others. The clubhouse bar will not be open even for coffee until mid April and you will not be permitted to bring your own drinks of any kind to sit and enjoy with others after play.
4. Please avoid crowding together when arriving for club session and sorry no socialising is allowed afterwards.l the bar reopens in mid April
5. Entry to the club grounds will be via the main gate only which will be unlocked from 8am and locked at 9.15pm. The last bookings will end for now at 9.00 pm,so if you are playing under lights make sure you don’t get locked in!!
6. As before, floodlight tokens will be available in a jar in the pavilion. Please record the number of tokens taken and how you will pay for them on the sheet of paper provided. Payment can be by bank transfer to the Club's bank account (details of which will be given on the sheet of paper), or by instructing the office to debit the amount in question from your Purley Sports Club card account.
7. The toilets will be open in the clubhouse from 9am until 5pm. Anyone using them MUST wear a face mask on entering the building and keep it on until you leave.
If you are handling any court equipment eg clay dragger or net winder you must use a glove.
8. Coaching on a one to one or group basis is allowed and the coach will ensure the rules are adhered to.
9. No spectating is allowed and children are allowed one parent to be in attendance as long as distancing is maintained from others..
10. The usual distancing rules should be maintained at all times.
All this seems horribly familiar from last year but essential not only for your own safety and that of fellow members but in order to ensure that the courts can remain open.
DON’t LET YOUR GUARD DOWN YET! Your cooperation is as always appreciated.